Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Once upon a time, I was all about math. Somehow, I did not get a perfect score in math on my SATs. I really think there was a mistake made. By my junior year of high school I had already done well in Algebra; advanced Geometry; Algebra II; and Trigonometry. The next year I took advanced Calculus. By the end of the year, I scored in the ninety-fourth percentile in college level Calculus 102. I was seventeen.

I never went another step further. Too bad. The next level is Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Physics. It is only recently that I have become acquainted with these principles. While Einstein dealt with LARGE things, like the universe, for example, this discipline deals with the incredibly small- particles and such. It opens the door to the oddest/nearly spooky parts of the world.

Two examples. First, no matter how much heat you add to a black bowling ball, it will never glow red. This is unexplainable.(and Shane is definitely forbidden from trying it, btw)

Second, if a person firing a particle designed to randomly strike any of a limited number of points is told/believes that a certain individual firing WILL strike one distinct point, then it will/does. Notwithstanding the fact that the chances have not been altered. Yet the overall distribution percentage of the random hits will not change from what they should and always will be. (I know, I probably lost you all with that one) What this proves is that believing is seeing!!! What this can mean on a personal level is exciting.


I have said all of this for a whole different reason than you might expect.


Somehow, someway, sometime, my mind turned away from math and towards language arts; writing in particular. Nothing has ever giving me a greater sense of accomplishment. Within me exists not only the ability, (sometime great, sometime small) to express myself; but also a true need to offload the thoughts that ever swirl round and round my mind.

Sometimes, I actually write something- like right now. Once done, I get nervous. I want approval. Approval feels good, real good. But... there is also fear... of lack of approval, I guess.

This approval/fear ball of passion I have only experienced on a limited/personal level. I think of greater audiences and wonder how I would feel. I believe that one day I will find out. It is a random particle. Believing can be seeing!


Love someone well today,

Bobby

2 comments:

  1. "Two examples. First, no matter how much heat you add to a black bowling ball, it will never glow red. This is unexplainable.(and Shane is definitely forbidden from trying it, btw)"

    BULLSHIT! (to me not being able to try that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least wait until you come visit. West Virginia is 'wild and wonderful'. Building a kiln that heats to thousands of degrees is something we can do in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete